- Google Didn’t create Android itself, it was bought from the company named “Android Inc” in the year 2005. Android was founded by Andy Rubin, who is known as the father of Android.
- Android was originally built as an operating system for digital cameras. Later on, it has been changed to focus on smart phones.
- The first Android phone to hit the market was HTC dream Aka T-Mobile G1, it was launched in 2008.
- As of now, Androd is the most used operating system in the world. The market share of Android beat Microsoft’s Windows recently.
- Android versions names are in Alphabetical order, we have reached to N which is Android 7.0 and talks are that Android O will be called Oreo.
- Name of each new Android version is based on the sweet treats or desserts. Take a look yourself:
- Cupcake- Android 1.5
- Donut – Android 1.6
- Éclair – Android 2.0
- Froyo – Android 2.2
- Gingerbread- Android 2.3
- Honeycomb- Android 3.0
- Ice Cream Sandwich- Android 4.0
- Jelly Bean- Android 4.1-4.3.1
- KitKat- Android 4.4-4.4.4
- Lollipop- Android 5.0- 5.1.1
- Marshmallow- Android 6.0-6.0.1
- Nougat- Android 7.0-7.1
- During the time Android came out to the limelight (Around 2007) Nokia made a statement: “we don’t see this [Android as a threat”, after bought and sold by Microsoft, the company launched its first Android phone in 2017.
- Also, In 2010, Anssi Vanjoki who was, at the time, CEO of Nokia, said that using Android is like a Finnish boy peeing his pants to stay warm.
- Android is also being used as OS on Google Glass, Smartwatches and even some satalights launched in space.
- Samsung could buy Android in 2005, but the South Korean Phone manufacturer refused because they did not see any potential in the OS.
Bonus: First Android phone did not have 3.5 mm audio jack, so, Apple was not the first company to have ‘Courage’.
Know about any other interesting fact about Android? Share with us in the comments below.