After last week’s update, Microsoft announced just a few hours ago that a new build for Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 Mobile is rolling out for the Fast Ring of Windows Insiders. While the new build does not add that many significant changes over the last one, some new features are definitely interesting. The company uploaded a complete changelog for Mobile and PC Windows versions here, Following are some of the important ones:
What’s New in Build 16199 For PC
Emotive Experience in My People: The next wave of cool features for My People is now available for Windows Insiders! In addition to being able to place your favorite people to the taskbar, today’s build brings even more personal ways to stay in touch and share with the people closest to you. We’re adding:
See emoji from your pinned contacts: When you receive emoji from your pinned contacts you can now watch them appear and animate right from the taskbar! Have one of your pinned contacts send you an emoji via Skype (for example “(hero)”) and see what happens! If you’d like to turn this off, open taskbar settings by right-clicking on the taskbar.
- Notification Badging: The contacts pinned to your taskbar will now display a counter if there are unseen messages, ensuring you have at-a-glance access to communications you have missed from your pinned contacts. Note: You might need to update Skype to version 11.16.556.0 to see notification badges when new Skype messages come in.
- People-first Sharing: You now have two easy ways to share with your people in Windows 10! Drag-and-drop files directly onto the contacts in your taskbar to start an email, or share directly to your contacts via the share picker by choosing from a list recommended people to email.
- Improved Game Settings: We’ve made some improvements and adjustments that PC gamers will enjoy via Settings > Gaming and the Windows Game bar (WIN + G).
Incoming call notifications
For our Insiders with Android phones, Cortana can now display cross-device incoming call notifications! Install the Cortana app on your phone, go to “Settings” > “Sync notifications” and turn on all the Cortana cross-device features. The next time you receive a call, a notification will appear on your Fast ring PC telling you who it is and giving you the option to text back a reply or decline the call.
Changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) will now work as expected on touch-enabled PCs.
- [DEVELOPERS] The XAML designer in Visual Studio 2017 hits an error causing a squiggle error under ThemeResource references to XAML’s generic.xaml resources. Please update to the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 Preview (Version 15.3 – 26510.00) or later. If Visual Studio 2017 Preview is already installed, users can update by starting the Visual Studio Installer, and clicking the Update button. You can confirm you have the right build of Visual Studio Preview by going to Help > About to confirm you are on Version 15.3 (26510.0-Preview) or later.
- We fixed an issue resulting in many Win32 apps not launching if certain 3rd party antivirus programs were active prior to upgrading.
- We’ve updated Windows Defender Security Center so as to no longer flag disabled drivers as issues. We have also adjusted the health scan logic so that using maximum brightness when connected to AC power will not flag a warning. Appreciate all who shared feedback on the subject.
- As a result of low usage, we’ve made the decision to remove the Note quick action.
- We’re updated our migration logic so that going forward from this build the state of rotation lock will be preserved across upgrades.
- We fixed an issue resulting in color profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games.
- ADDED: To help you quickly find the option you’re looking for, we’ve updated the context menus for apps and tiles in Start to now include icons for more actions, including Share, Uninstall, and Rate.